9 am – 5 pm
The Head Gardener leads a team of gardeners with day to day responsibility for the upkeep of the College’s gardens and
ensure that these continue to have an excellent reputation and provide an enjoyable experience for Fellows, students,
staff, guests and visitors.
And also maintain the beautification of the lawns and gardens in order to attract guests to hotels lush and green surroundings.
The Head Gardener will report to the Operations Manager and lead a team of gardeners to fulfil the College’s objectives
for its gardens. The post holder is a member of the Gardens Committee and works with it to ensure that the garden is
developed and maintained to the highest horticultural standards and that its unique character and excellence is preserved.
- Lead the Gardens Department and line manage the team of gardeners.
- Ensure the gardens team work in a safe, secure and compliant environment.
- Plan and schedule seasonal maintenance to include lawn areas, shrubs, boarders, planters/hanging baskets/hedges/ trees & weed control.
- Ensure regular reports are made to the Grounds Manager concerning operation of the gardeners team.
- Significant practical experience in horticulture, supported by appropriate qualifications to RHS level 3 (or equivalent level of vocational experience).
- Good level of plantsmanship/plant husbandry skills.
- Experience with garden public events.
- Leadership skills including coaching, team development, motivation and communication.
- Experience in managing small contracts and projects.
- The hours of work are 30 hours per week.
- Workplace perks such as recreation activities, food and coffee, and flexible work schedules.